From the book "Family Histories of Canadian County Oklahoma", (CCHBA, 1987)

 
John William Palmer was born Nov. 1, 1901 to Elvira Estella Mayfield and Winfield Scott Palmer in a dugout on his parents' farm located 9 miles north and 4 miles east of El Reno, the 8th child of 10 children. His father died when John was 16. The 10 Palmer children were students at Liberty School.

John married Ruby Heckes, daughter of Fred and Mary Todd Heckes, Jan. 3, 1926. They farmed the "home place" (Winfield Palmer's) until John's mother died. John bought two 80's one mile east of the Palmer farm. They moved to a farm located in the same quarter section as the Racine School. In the early years of their marriage, his brother, Herbert, a student at Edmond, lived with them one year. Later, he served 2 terms as State Representative.

John was Chairman of the Board of the Okarche Coop for 20 years. He and his family were members of the Mt. Zion Church. John liked people and enjoyed visiting with them. He was full of fun and enjoyed a good laugh. When his daughters were small, he often brought home candy for them. The girls woke up in the morning discussing whose turn it would be to dividie the candy or go for the mail. Their rural mail carrier was Mr. Nickerson. If he was ill, his wife delivered the mail. In the summer's heat, the girls walked barefoot to the road to wait for the mail carrier. John continued to bring gifts to his daughters, even as they became older. Once at a cattle auction, someone was selling fringed table clothes and he bough one for each daughter.

John always looked forward to riding his horse in the 89er parade. He had a favorite red satin western shirt and hat for these occasions. He still owned a lap robe purchased for his buggy from a mail order catalog when he was a young, single man. It was of a heavy, horsehair-like material. The black, rubber lining made it waterproof. The color of the outside material was gold with a bird dog in the center. The dog's eye was a clear glass with a black pupil.

John and Ruby Palmer's 3 daughters are: Agnes (Siegrist), Anna Belle (Wiedemann), and Norma Jean (Schroeder).

John and Ruby moved from their farm to El Reno in November 1955 and built a home at 1500 W. Walnut St. They joined the Wesley United Methodist Church.

John William Palmer, a life-long resident of Canadian County, died in El Reno July 27, 1973, and is buried in El Reno Cemetery.

 

From the book "Family Histories of Canadian County Oklahoma", (CCHBA, 1987)

 
Winfield Scott Palmer was born Feb. 26, 1862 in Felicity, Ohio to Jonathan Palmer and Mary Elizabeth McKibben. His father was an atorney from Noble Co., Illinois. His mother was one of 6 children born to Joseph and Ann Linn McKibben. Winfield's pathernal great-grandparents were Joseph and and Mary McKibben of Helena, Ky. Winfield's great-grandfather was born in Northern Ireland. After coming to America, he served as lieutenant in the Revolutionary War for the Cumberland Co., PA militia.

Winfield married Elvira Estella Mayfield in Neal, Kansas Sept. 26, 1886. They came to Oklahoma Territory Jan. 2, 1890 with their 2 oldest children and settled on a farm northeast of El Reno. While their children were still small, Elvira Palmer's mother, Grandma Burke, a widow, came to live with them.

Winfield and Elvira Palmer had 10 children:

Mae Jane bron Aug. 20, 1887. She married Reuben Lewis Folsom. They had 3 children: Willias Louis, Juanita Mae (died at birth), and Thelma Jane who married Peter Day.

Harry Ebbon born Nov. 8, 1889 married Iva Blanche Carter. They had 4 children: Leonard and lucile, twins born Feb. 18, 1919; Carlos Ewing born March 22, 1920; and Phyllis Lorraine born Oct. 20, 1925.

Ralph James born Aug. 15, 1891, married Helen Gramkow. They had 5 children: Gordon Wayne born 1919; Maxine born 1923; James Potter born May 18, 1927; Eileen born April 25, 1932; and Patricia Ann born Sept. 19, 1934.

Olin born Sept. 20, 1893, married Emma (amelia Judith) Loganbill. They had 4 children, Iona, Clifford, Gilbert, and Luella.

Dora Ethel born March 17, 1895 married Ralph Geoffrey. They had 3 children, Evelyn Elvira, Edward, and Shirley.

Flora Ester born Jan. 10, 1898 married Hal Calhoun (Pat) Wilkerson. They had 2 children, John and Ella Mae.

Katheryn Margaret born Jan. 10, 1900 married Mervil Henry Stine. They had one son, Wibur Stine.

John William born Nov. 1, 1901 married Ruby Heckes (see next story).

Gertrude born May 16, 1903 died in 1948 and is buried in tthe Palmer Cemetery.

Herbert M. Born April 20, 1906, died March 20, 1972. He is buried in the Palmer Cemetery. He has lived in the Washington D.C. Are since 1937. He served in the State Legislature 1931-1935. He served in the U.S. Coast Guard during W.W. II. Following discharge, he recived a law degree from Cuberland University in Lebanon, Tenn., and was employed by the Dept. Of Commerce. He wwas a 32 year member of the Chevy Chase Masonic Lodge.

Winfield Scott died in 1918 and is buried in the Palmer Cemetery. His wife, Elvira Estella Mayfield Palmer died Nov. 2, 1925 and is buried beside him. They were 2 of the pioneers of Canadian County.

 

From the book "Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties, Illinois"

 
Charles Edward Palmer

Having been born and reared in Noble township, Riceland County, Illinois, and since reaching manhood's estate identified with some of the most important business interests if that community, it is not strange that Charles Edward Palmer should be widely and favourably know within the confines of the territory in question. His career has been marked with success at almost every turn, and he certainly is an example worthy of emulation by the young men of today, who would embark upon the sea of commercialization. Perseverance coupled with energy and brains has placed him in an enviable position in the business world.

Charles Edward Palmer was born in Noble township, October 14, 1859. His father was James F. Palmer, born in Brown county, Ohio, in 1829, while the mother was Maria C. Danbury, also a native of the Buckeye state, having been born there in 1833. Their deaths were not far apart, the husband passing away in 1893, and the wife and mother two years later. The father of the subject was a graduate of the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, and in 1856, rode horseback from Ohio to his future home in Noble township. His wife followed a year afterwards on the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Railroad, which had just been completed. The grandfather of the subject was a soldier in the War of 1812; his paternal grandmother was a niece of the Revolutionary General Stark, while his uncle, Jacob A. Palmer, did valiant service throughout the Civil war.

Mr. Palmer was educated in the public schools, and when quite young began to read to read law. Later he entered the insurance business, and also took part in politics, finally being elected Supervisor of Noble township. While discharging the duties of his office he was instrumental in having the county board appoint an expert accountant to check up the accounts of the county officers. He eventually became an expert accountant himself, and investigated the books of other counties, serving in that capacity for eight years. In 1899 he conceived and organized the mercantile firm of Palmer & Company, and this concern has forged to the front with remarkable rapidity, carrying an immense stock of dry goods, furniture, stoves, hardware and agricultural implements. In connection with this concern the firm operates a concrete block factory, and an evaporator. Mr. Palmer is the president and general manager of the establishment, and is also vice-president of the bank of Noble. He was wedded in 1882 to Mollie U. Philhower, and this alliance resulted in the birth of two children, one of whom died when quite young. The other, Beulah May Palmer, became the wife of a prominent contractor of Olney, Illinois.

Mr. Palmer is a Mason, an Odd Fellow, Red Man, and a member of the Modern Woodsmen of America. He has for years been more or less prominent in politics, being an adherent of the Independent party. When the Spanish-American war broke out he raised a company, and was made captain thereof. They reported to Colonel Pittenger, at Centralia, and the company, although placed on the list, was never called out.

 

From the book "Biographical Sketches of Richland, Jasper & Effingham Counties"

 
J.F. Palmer, M.D. Was born in Neville, Cleremont Co., Ohio February 9, 1829, and is the sixth of the eleven children of Jacob and Polly (Stark) Palmer, natives of New York. Jacob Palmer was a physician and came to Ohio in 1817, removed to Riceland County, Ill., in 1866, and died in 1876, aged eighty-five. Our subject received such advantages of instruction as the schools of that day afforded, and began reading medicine in 1852, under Dr. Weaver, of high repute in Brown County, Ohio, and graduated there in 1868, having practised some years previously. He first practised in Ohio, then came to Noble, Riceland Co., Ill., August, 1856, where he has since remained, and is the oldest physician and surgeon in this region, being now associated with his son Dr. E.L. Palmer, who attended three terms at McKendrie College, and graduated from the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, in 1877, a native of Ohio, born July 13, 1855, and, in 1881, in Saint Louis, married Miss Mary E. Flanders. Dr. J. F. Palmer, married Miss M. C. Dunsbury, a native of Ohio, October 23, 1853, a union to which were born four children - E.L., Charles E., Lillie M. And Franklin E. (deceased). Our subject has been Trustee of the township for the past twenty-three years, and for the first twelve years after the incorporation of the town.
 

From the book "Biographical Sketches of Richland, Jasper & Effingham Counties"

 
Charles E. Palmer, counselor-at-law, is a native of this township, was born October 14, 1859, and is a son of J.F. And M.C. Palmer. His early education was obtained at the common schools, which he attended until the year 1879, which gave him the advantage of a good education. In the autumn of 1881, he made a visit to California, and remained there until the spring of 1882, where he was engaged in various employment's, a portion of the time being in a drug store. After his return from California, he was elected Township Assessor on the Republican ticket, having to overcome a Democratic majority of forty, which bespeaks his popularity. On his twenty-first birth day he was made a Mason, and is at present secretary of his Lodge, No. 362; he is also a member of the I.O.O.F. In May, 1883, he married Miss Mollie Philhower, a daughter of J.B. Philhower, by which union he became the father of one child, Beulah M.