Palmer Cemetery, Canadian County, Oklahoma

 

From the book "History of Canadian County Oklahoma", (CCHBA, 1991)

 
The Palmer Family Cemetery has been in use for 100 years. In the year of 1889, Jonathan F. Palmer and his wife Margaret Anna Palmer homesteaded the NE/4 Sec. 32-T14N-R6W, in Canadian County, Oklahoma. Their children, George Orin, Gertrude, Wesley, and Frank Palmer came with their parents in the opening of the new area in Oklahoma.

In the year 1890 Gertrude died. Since there was no cemetery, the family set aside one acre in the extreme northeast corner of their homeplace. Since that first grave for Gertrude, the Palmer Cemetery has been used as a burial site for the descendants of Jonathan and anna Palmer, and his brother, Winfield and his wife, Elvira Palmer. In addition, a small number of neighbours have been bruied there.

On January 4, 1893, Jonathan and Margaret Palmer's youngest child, Ella May, was born in a dugout. She later married John Vincent Whalen.

Maintenance of the Palmer Cemetery became a family responsibility. Each Decoration Day was considered an opportunity to work and maintain the cemetery and to enjoy a picnic get-together. Ella Palmer Whalen and Mervil Griffin, husband of Anna Mae Palmer Griffin, took on the job of erecting a chain link fence, and Vora (whitey) and Dorothy Palmer set out trees and shrubs.

To provide for perpetual care and maintenance, the Palmer descendants incorporated and participated in an oil and gas well operation that helkps finance the Palmer Cemetery Association. The Association is run by a board of Directors: Roberta Whalen Wolfkill, Anna Mae Palmer Griffin, and Ella Lillian Palmer Spiers.

The Palmer Cemetery now holds four generations of the descendants of the original pioneers. The beautiful and well kept cemetery is located off Northwest Highway and miles north of Banner Road.

 

Noble Prairie Cemetery, Noble, Illinois